Established in 1777, Liberty County changed its seat twice in 50 years. It was first moved from Sunbury to Riceboro in 1797. After a majority of voters supported moving the County seat from Riceboro in 1836, Liberty County's State Senator Charlton Hines introduced legislation to establish a new seat within one mile of a place known as the General Parade Ground.
The new location was previously used by the County militia for drills and musters. This spot was more centrally located and was readily accessible to the Gulf and Western Railroad. In 1837, the new County seat was named Hinesville in honor of Hines. Learn more about the history of Liberty County