Quick Facts About Lead-Based Paint
- Many homes built prior to 1978 contain lead based paint.
- Soil can contain lead from exterior paint.
- Household dust can contain lead from deteriorating paint or from soil tracked into a home.
- Lead pipes can contaminate water; it is not detected by sight, smell or taste and boiling will not cleanse.
Affects of Lead-Based Paint
Lead is a highly toxic metal used in a variety of products and materials that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children. When lead is absorbed into the body, it can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs, such as kidneys and nerves, as well as blood. Lead may also result in behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures and, in extreme cases, death. Some symptoms of lead poisoning may include headaches, stomachaches, nausea, tiredness and irritability. However, lead poisoned children may show no obvious symptoms.
How We Help
The City of Hinesville educates the public on the potential dangers of lead based paint by distributing brochures to all Owner Occupied Rehabilitation Program applicants. This information is also available in our lobby and will be gladly mailed upon request by contacting Ms. Teanesa Fabain at (912) 876-3564.
All City-sponsored rehabilitation and demolition projects with properties constructed prior to 1978 undergo lead based paint and asbestos inspections to identify any hazards prior to commencing work.
More information can be obtained be viewing the following documents and/or web pages.
- "Protect Your Family From Lead in Your Home" brochure
- "Proteja a Su Familia Contra el Plomo en el Hogar"
- Housing and Urban Development: Office of Healthy Homes and Lead Hazard Control
- Environmental Protection Agency: Lead in Home